Author Topic: Should a Pastor be corrected during service if he gives wrong information  (Read 2296 times)

srjames

• Anointedtouch Ministries
Is there a level of accountability for those that know to correct the pastor in order to give the right information to the congregation.

esthervasa

• Intermediate Member
  • I am a person who hungers for Christ!
    • Esther Vasa's Blog
Re: Should a Pastor be corrected during service if he gives wrong information
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 07:46:36 AM »
Should the pastor be corrected during the service is something that has to be done with caution. Firstly we should listen to the Spirit of God and see how He wants us to be tackle. Standing for truth is something that we should certainly do as true believers of Christ. But when and how is it to be done... we should do it with Godly wisdom.

I think this is somewhat similar to my question from http://odbhosting.net/forums/index.php?topic=952.msg2943#msg2943. Wisdom from God alone will help us tackle these issues properly. Because it is all about God and His kingdom.
In Christ,
Esther Vasa

Dr Jl Williams

• Author, Teacher, Administrator
  • Global Moderator
    • Our Daily Bread, Missions Organization
  • About me: One of the administrators of ministry and teacher.
  • How long have you been in ministry?: Yes
  • Name of Ministry: Our Daily Bread, Missions Organization
  • Purpose of Joining: Help people find their purpose and calling, provide help where we can and then walk with them in their calling.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 12:39:34 PM »
Well whatever is done, should be done out of love first and then unity which is also important because in the unity we know its the Spirit of God that is moving instead of just us.

Have also remember I think, none of us are perfect, but we are perfected by love. I have been in a service where I was speaking and the Holy Spirit was moving. I mean really the Holy Spirit was moving so strongly it took work to be able to even stand. To me literally was all a miracle, but the next day the pastor of the church and not sure out of what reason got sort of strange and accusing. His words fell to the floor, but did cause division. The problem was even if the pastor was correct in his accusation, what happened is his congregation had to make a decision to back him or not. He owned the building. I was simply a guest speaker for the weekend.

Correction is important, but correction with love and nurturing is more important than even being right. I know that may sound strange but the point is we all have to be careful no matter what the situation to first as it was said to be led by God's Spirit and secondly we have to be sure that we are moving out of love and not even justify anything we do. I mean to us it is easy to justify why we are doing something, but what is God's view, which is the important part, because we are supposed to be doing everything to God's glory and not our own, which means that He is is running the show and not us. Ok that may have been a run on sentence but was connected as one thought.

Over and over I am sure you have heard or read that we all have been called in the body of Christ to do something in ministry, but the fruit is either it is our ministry or His ministry. Many in ministry seem to think it is their ministry, which is why buildings and walls are put it because it is their ministry. At that point when that does happen instead of promoting the kingdom of God, what often happens is that our kingdom gets promoted. When that happens our own agenda's seem to be more important than God's agenda.

In any ministry if it is really God's ministry or Jesus, God or Jesus needs to not only run the show so to speak, but place where He wants who ever He wants and how ever He wants whoever so it stays His ministry to His glory and not our own as He has made it clear for this very reason so it stays with Him, that He shares His glory with no one. That is a really important issue.

When we promote are we promoting a ministry or a church building and the organization behind that or are we promoting God's ministry which is Christ, both Jesus and the body of Christ? You might think both would be the same, but often times it is not the same, which is how walls and buildings are constructed, to separate some from others, which actually lifts a congregation over others, which was never God's purpose. We are to be an example for others but never over others.
We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. Jesus is the head and we are the body of Christ. It is a circle based on love, unity, respect, freedom and equality.

Roy Maul

• Saved 12/24/1987 Henderson NV
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:42:39 AM »
Is there a level of accountability for those that know to correct the pastor in order to give the right information to the congregation.

In answer to the specific question asked, God has a plan for just such a situation. In Matthew 18, Jesus tells us to go to the offender and discuss the offense, just one on one, if the offender listens, the issue is settled. If the offender doesn't listen then discuss it with only two or three people, if they agree with you then take them to the offender and discuss it again. If the offender still doesn't listen, then, and only then, take it to the congregation.

So, the answer to the question is: No, never during the service.

Matthew 18:15-17 "Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican."

Dr Jl Williams

• Global Moderator
  • Purpose of Joining: Help people find their purpose and calling, provide help where we can and then walk with them in their calling.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 12:38:11 PM »

In answer to the specific question asked, God has a plan for just such a situation. In Matthew 18, Jesus tells us to go to the offender and discuss the offense, just one on one, if the offender listens, the issue is settled. If the offender doesn't listen then discuss it with only two or three people, if they agree with you then take them to the offender and discuss it again. If the offender still doesn't listen, then, and only then, take it to the congregation.

So, the answer to the question is: No, never during the service.

Matthew 18:15-17 "Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican."

Fully agree, but also see that most are almost scared to death to go to some pastors and say anything.

You are correct in what scripture says. In many churches there is such a fear of approaching authority. It is why a lot of things go unchecked so to speak.  ;)
We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. Jesus is the head and we are the body of Christ. It is a circle based on love, unity, respect, freedom and equality.

esthervasa

• Intermediate Member
  • I am a person who hungers for Christ!
    • Esther Vasa's Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 09:01:37 AM »
Absolutely fear to speak up when something is against the Word of God is from the enemy. God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, and of love and of a sound mind.

So, by His power we can speak up and in His love can correct and by His wisdom both sides wiill act and react. 
In Christ,
Esther Vasa

paul

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 09:14:06 AM »
Everything done must be done in love, correction or otherwise. The approach in dealing with the individualis determined on the issue. Is the issue at hand deal with church discipline (sin), essential doctrine, or non essential doctrine.Essential doctrinal error,ie.,all faiths lead0to the same god demands a bold confrontation especially if comeing from the pulpit, which I have done. Paul confronted peter in this way. Non essential doctrinal error is delt with a teachers heart with much compassion but never during a service and always in private in love. Church desciple (sin issues) is always delt according to the way it is detailed in the scripture, pastor or not. Everything must be done in LOVE!
Advancing HIS Kingdom!

Rey

• Intermediate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 09:29:55 PM »
Hello!

I would agree with Roy that it should not be done during the service. There is a proper forum and time for such matter. 

The Dove's Voice

• Bringing the gospel of peace and hope to nations
    • Sauti Njiwa
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 06:57:24 PM »
When you stand to preach you are representing Christ.You can not disturb the Assembly.All you can do is to ask the question you have at the end of the Holy meeting.You can either e-mail the Pastor or you can call and even come to his office for more Bible teaching.We are in a learning institution in God's Sanctuary.Nobody is perfect but I trust that Pastors are led by the Holy Spirit unless one is not in the body of Christ.Be careful not to let the devil lead to disrupt God's work do this in Love and rspect.We are all one in His body therefore we depend on one another.
The Dove's Voice to the nations

Dr Jl Williams

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 04:26:00 AM »
Ok lets come up with examples of reasons to say something or not. In other words what is not acceptable? This is on another thread but what happens if a minister does not agree that the commandments are in important and does not agree that it is important to work with the five fold gift ministry. Many errors can as a result to a pastor not teaching the importance, but what do you see or think?

Is it important to pay attention to the commandments? Yes or no and why?

Is it important to have the five fold gift ministry working in a church or at least accepted by that particular church? Yes or no and why?

What are some other issues of equal importance?

Grafted in or Jesus came to start a new religion called Christianity?

Is love and unity important and how important is it and why?

The Dove's Voice

• Sauti Njiwa
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 07:03:01 PM »
Yes the correction must be done in love not raising hands and pointing fingers to challenge a servant of God when representing Christ through the Holy Spirit.How can two walk together unless they are in agreement.Christ is the Head of the Church and we are branches.I like what you contributed here with: "When we promote are we promoting a ministry or a church building and the organization behind that or are we promoting God's ministry which is Christ, both Jesus and the body of Christ? You might think both would be the same, but often times it is not the same, which is how walls and buildings are constructed, to separate some from others, which actually lifts a congregation over others, which was never God's purpose. We are to be an example for others but never over others.  

Is it important to pay attention to the commandments? Yes or no and why?

Is it important to have the five fold gift ministry working in a church or at least accepted by that particular church? Yes or no and why?

What are some other issues of equal importance?

Grafted in or Jesus came to start a new religion called Christianity?
Is love and unity important and how important is it and why
Is it Important to pay attention to the commandments?
Yes.

Let us review some details what the Bibles says about the commandments.
I suggest that Forum students to read the following scripture books and  make comment:  start  from Exodus 20:1-17,Exodus 31:18 "Then,as God finished speaking with Moses on Mount Sinai He gave him the two tablets of stone on which the ten commandments were written with the finger of God.[/color]Deuteronomy 5:6-33
Two tablets of the commandment broken, Exodus 32:19
Renewed Exodus 34:1 Deut 10:1
Fulfilled by Christ.Mathew 5:17,19:17,22:35
Mark 10:17. Luke 10:23,18:18

Yes it very true to pay attention to the ten commandments of God.

Yes. It is important also to pay attention with the Five fold gift ministry.These are gifts of the Holy Spirit.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:25:44 PM by The Dove's Voice »

Dr Jl Williams

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 12:45:46 PM »
Grafted in or Jesus came to start a new religion called Christianity?Is love and unity important and how important is it and why
Is it Important to pay attention to the commandments? Yes.

Actually, no where does it say that Jesus came to start a new religion. That is however what is taught in many churches. Just because it is taught does not mean that is what Jesus did. If we are branches then we will teach exactly as Jesus taught and He did not come to say EVER that He came to start a new religion. He came so all could be grafted into the promise.

The difference is, one belief will take you in the direction and path of a new religion and the other will take you to what God intended to begin with and that will always take you back to "God's words are eternal." With a new religion, then we can pick and choose which words we want to honor and which words we don't want to honor.

Jesus said that He was the way the truth, but did not say that He came to start a new religion, but gave a covenant that all may enter.

The Dove's Voice

• Sauti Njiwa
Re: CHRISTMAS TO ALL IN THE FORUM
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 11:33:48 AM »

MAY GOD GIVE PEACE TO YOU MY CHRISTIAN BROTHERS AND SISTERS,AND LOVE,WITH FAITH FROM GOD THE FATHER AND THE LORD JESUS CHRIST.MAY GOD'S  GRACE AND BLESSINGS BE UPON ALL WHO SINCERELY LOVE OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST.PLEASE REMEMBER IT IS NOT A HOLIDAY OR X-MAS.IT IS CHRISTMAS=CHRIST+MAS.NOT MAS-CHRIST.

PRAY FOR THE SICK,DISPLACED BRETHREN IN COUNTRIES THAT PERSECUTE FELLOW CHRISTIANS,PRAY FOR OUR COUNTRY TO BE UNITED IN CHRIST JESUS.ABOVE ALL REMAIN IN LOVE AND PEACE.AMEN!

Rey

• Intermediate Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 06:39:50 AM »
Dear Brethren:

Greetings!

Thanks for the greetings! May the Lord Bless us all not only on Christmas Day but everyday.

HAVE A BLESSED CHRISTMAS AND A JOYOUS NEW YEAR.

jmryan316

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 04:30:46 AM »
I do believe that a pastor should be corrected, however, it should be done with love and care. Pastors, like the rest of us are human and subject to making mistakes. Remember, the only one who is perfect and mistake free is God.